As the Indiana State Police celebrates 80 years of service to the citizens of the State of Indiana today marks a special milestone for the Jasper Post. It was 75 years ago today that the Jasper Post opened its doors at its current location.
The original Jasper Post was located in a red brick building on the Northeast corner of 9th and Bartley Streets in Jasper where the Providence Home now stands. During this time dispatching was done by AM radio only.
On February 15, 1938, after three years of planning and construction, the process of moving the Jasper Post from the Providence Home to its current location at US 231 and Schuetter Rd. began.
Jasper Post #8 opened for business with 18 road troopers and three radio operators. The post covered 14 counties in Southwest Indiana.
Today the Jasper District covers seven counties in southwestern Indiana that includes Crawford, Daviess, Dubois, Martin, Orange, Perry and Spencer Counties. There are 27 troopers, six detectives, a detective sergeant, three squad sergeants, one first sergeant, one lieutenant and 4 civilian personnel that call the Jasper Post home.