A Northeast Dubois County couple has been displaced after their home was destroyed by fire Tuesday night.

Firefighters with the Dubois Fire Department reponded to the home located along North Hillham Road South just after 8 o’clock.  When they arrived they found the two story log home fully engulfed in flames.

The home’s occupants Eugene Varner and his wife, Francine, told fire officials they were eating supper when they saw smoke coming from the living room of the home. Varner attempted to run up the stairs of the home to grab a fire extinguisher, but heavy smoke had already filled the upstairs area. The couple then left the home safely and contacted 9-1-1.

A wood stove in the home’s living room is believed to be the cause of the fire. Dubois Fire officials say it was more than likely that a crack in the flue resulted in the wall around the chimney catching fire.

The home and all of its contents were destroyed in the blaze. However their two vehicles and an outbuilding were spared in the fire. The couple did not have homeowner’s insurance.

The American Red Cross is assisting the couple who is staying in a local hotel for a few nights before planning to move into a cabin on their property. Meanwhile the couple is in need of clothing and donationas are being accepted.

The following items are needed; women’s medium shirts, large pants, and size 8 shoes. Men’s medium shirts, 33 x 31 pants, and size 9 ½ shoes are also needed.

Donations of clothing and other items can be dropped off at the Melton Public Library in French Lick where Francine Varner works. The library is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.

Dubois firefighters responded with three trucks and 32 firefighters. Assistance was provided by the Orange County Rural District 1 fire department and the Haysville Fire Department.

Firefighters were on the scene for about three and a half hours.