Fire Severely Damages Jasper Apartment

No one was injured when a fire broke out in an apartment at a Jasper northside apartment complex earlier today.

Firefighters with the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the Dubois Apartments along West 43rd Street just after 12:30 this afternoon on a report of a fire inside of a unit being rented by Megan Carter and was also occupied by a 15-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy.

Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang says the fire broke out on the floor in the kitchen of the unit. Hochgesang says the apartment sustained about 30 thousand dollars in damage.

As mentioned earlier, no injuries were reported, but Hochgesang noted that the two children suffered smoke inhalation. Hochgesang also noted that the smoke detectors in the apartment were not working at the time of the fire.

Hochgesang says the unit will not be livable until repairs are made. The occupants also did not have renters insurance.

Jasper firefighters responded with 4 trucks and were on the scene for 50 minutes.