Jasper Restaurant Damaged by Fire

A Jasper restaurant will not open for business for a couple of days following a fire that took place there this morning.

Firefighters with the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the Fazoli’s in the 700 block of Third Avenue at about 8 am this morning on a report of a fire that had started outside of the building. Jasper fire chief Kenny Hochgesang says there was about 7 thousand dollars in damages to the outside of the building. Hochgesang says the fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette. Restaurant managers say they hope to reopen the restaurant by midweek. No injuries were reported.

The Jasper Fire Department responded with 5 trucks and 32 men. They were on the scene for a little over an hour. Memorial Hospital EMS also assisted at the scene.