A turkey house outside of Dubois suffered minor damage in a fire yesterday morning.

Firefighters with the Dubois Volunteer Fire Department were called to a reported turkey house on fire in the 4000 block of East Dubois Road Northwest at about 10:30 yesterday morning. When they arrived, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the building’s utility room. Department spokesman Zach Eichmiller says firemen had to tear away portions of a six foot by six foot wall surrounding the room to get to the fire and put it out. Eichmiller says the building (which is owned by Dubois Fire Department chief Steve Kalb) suffered minor damage.

Eichmiller says Danny Kalb (Steve’s dad) went out to the building after receiving an automated alarm call from it. He immediately closed the door to keep the fire from growing and called 9-1-1. Steve Kalb arrived on scene shortly afterwards and told firefighters that he had just recently fixed a minor leak in the building’s Anthium Dioxcide pump.

Eichmiller says the fire appears to have started from a chemical reaction between the Anthium Dioxide (a chemical used to sanitize water that turkeys drink) and an unknown substance in the corner of the utility room. Eichmiller says there were turkeys in the building at the time of the fire, but none were impacted by it. The turkeys were loaded and hauled away by a crew with Huntingburg-based Farbest Foods yesterday morning.

The Dubois Fire Department responded to the scene with 3 trucks and 25 men. They were on scene for about 2 and a half hours yesterday. Eichmiller says no fire personnel were injured in this fire.