Spencer County Home Destroyed by Early AM Blaze

A Dale family has lost their home after it was destroyed by fire that broke out early this morning.

Firefighters with the Carter Township, Jackson Township and Santa Claus Volunteer Fire Departments were all called to the residence in the 200 block of Medcalf Street just before 6 am central time this morning. Carter Township assistant fire chief Scott Meadors says the two-story home was completely engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene.

No injuries were reported in the fire and Meadors says everyone was able to get out of the home safely. Meadors says crews remained on scene this morning to put out hot spots and to tear down some of the remaining debris. The home was a total loss and Meadors says it is believed that a space heater was the cause of the fire.

Meadors says the American Red Cross was called to assist the family who was expected to stay in a nearby hotel.

Firefighters from all 3 departments batttled the blaze in single digit temperatures for almost 3 and a half hours.